Wednesday 11 January 2012

Post holidays

So the holidays were a little different this year. Since we moved to Ottawa/Gatineau, we go to Montreal for between 10 days to two weeks. This year, D's familly wanted to do the annual holiday dinner and gift exchange at our place. So we went to Montreal for my familly holiday thing for 3days, had lots of food at my mom's, like always (there's always lots of food at my moms, not only during the holidays, and we love it); had dinner with my father, and dinner with D's cousin (we only see them once a year during the holidays, and we weren't going to the New Year party this year, so we went to see them at their place).

After those three days in Montreal, we came back home to do some cleaning up of the house before the inlaws got here. See, D's brother and girlfriend have a 19 month old. She's the cutest thing, curious and full of energy. Our house is not baby proof or baby friendly. And I like to have the place kinda clean when I have visit over, especially my inlaws (even after 9½ years, I try to impress my mother-in-law, that's how I am). We put things away (which means we filled up the basement), do all the laundry (so I don't have to worry about it while I entertain the guests and have enough towels for everyone), vacuum and wash the floors (and it was about time), make room in the refrigerator (they're coming with the kid's meals)... you get the picture.

And then, they arrived. S (brother-in-law), N (sister-in-law) and L (19 month niece) arrived on the 29th. J (mother-in-law) and C (father-in-law) arrived on the 30th and leaving on the 31st. H (a good friend) was coming over on the 31st to end 2011 and start 2012 with us. S, N and L were leaving on the 1st. And H was leaving, when he got tired of us, or when we kicked him out (he left on the 3rd).

For the family holiday dinner, I cooked my first ever turkey. I figured it was a good opportunity to try it and if it didn't work out, we still had lots of other food. My mother-in-law was bringing meat pies, N was bringing dinner, and we had some garlic roast porc and macaroni and cheese (with spinach, ham and bacon in... mmmm). Or ya, and lots of veggies and mash patatoes. But, has it turn out, the turkey was delicious, thanks to my mom's suggestion (frozen butterball, barely anything to do other than cover and cook). And J volunteered to take care of the left overs (you know, seperating the meat from the bones, I can't think of the correct word, not even in french).

We ended up having a lot of fun, the baby was safe and had lot's of fun in the stairs (with supervision, of course) and lots of left-over.

And after everyone left, I was exhausted, but happy.

D's friend hooked him on Skyrim, a video game that is so addictive... So the rest of the holidays, we spent on the couch, him playing and me watching and knitting (and helping where I could, like letting him know he was about to die, or if there was something he missed/didn't see). Not a very productive week, but it felt good. I still managed to do the elliptical, prepare dinner and do my dishes.

This Monday, real life was back in. D was going back to work. And I was actively looking for work.
Mid-november I sent out my resume to multiple places hoping to get a job to start the new year right. See, I was completing my master's degree at the end of the month (November that is). I'll keep the story of my schooling for an other time, it's was a long process that deserve a whole post. Back to this Monday. I checked the Carreer Opportunity web pages of multiple establishements, called a chief a staff at one of them, sent a resume to a place I forgot in November, and sent a resume to a place I did'nt think would work out, and then I got a phone call from that last place. They need someone for a full time job. I told her I can only do 3 days/week. She said she would talk to the manager and call me back. She did, and they rather have someone 3 days/week than nobody at all. So I have a job interview next Monday. The big question now is, what to wear for that job interview?

Talk to you soon.
I'll try to figure out how to post pictures so I can show off my knitting (you better believe that I'll talk about it and show it off).

No comments:

Post a Comment